Thursday, December 26, 2013

My Greatest Gifts



So I read an article about the unfortunate side about having a birthday near Christmas.  Most people who were born in December agreed that having a birthday near Christmas is awful.  To be honest, I didn't think it was that big of a deal for me that my birthday is on the Winter Solstice.  What is also funny is that I had classmates who spoke out for me on how "terrible" it must have been for me to get "Birthday-and-Christmas" presents, when I really wasn't upset at my own birth date.  Growing up, I wasn't best with keeping track of quantity when it comes to presents and I didn't care if they used Holiday gift wraps for my birthday presents.  I received some random things that I liked-- that was good enough for me.

I know for sure my birthday celebrations during some of my teenage years weren't the best.  Then again, growing through total awkwardness makes things less ideal in general.  As I got older,  the celebrations did get better because I figured out a lot about myself and was more in touch with my taste.  I think having a birthday near Christmas is nice  because when it comes to late night outings, I can observe Holiday decorations.  Sure, I may not be able to invite loads of people during my celebration since most are busy during December, but given that I'm a natural introvert, a big gathering isn't necessary for me.











Like the past few years, Adam took me out to dinner and we strolled around downtown and the neighborhood to observe pretty lights.  All the birthday celebrations I had with him have been magical.  Sometimes I confuse my own birthday for Christmas or Christmas just starts early for me.


On Christmas Eve, we wrapped gifts as we embraced the cute wrapping supplies we found from a box that Adam's parents had preserved.  There were shiny wrapping papers, cute-printed sticker tags, and sparkly bows and ribbons to pick from.  I was "that person" who likes to do pretty box- wrapping, therefore, I had enjoyed wrapping papers.

After that, Adam and I lie on a carpet in the dark next to the freshly-cut Christmas tree in his living room.  The tree had colorful lights around, which made them looked like glowing skittles.  We sniffed the tree scent-- it smelled like winter pine.  As we lie down on the carpet next to the tree, we talked all night reflecting on childhood memories that mostly involved our past holiday experiences.  Our conversation was a mix of sadness (nostalgia) and happiness rolled into one, and I can't really pinpoint why, exactly.  But I knew that deep reflection from that night was quite a gift.



I wore my favorite cream-colored coat on my birthday.  Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

  1. Aww <3 My brother's birthday is XMAS Eve and I grew up watching his turmoil. Hehe. I think my parents continued to do half birthday wrap and half XMAS wrap on his gifts until recently. Haha. It sounds like you used the time as a way to reflect and be thankful for what you have. I respect that. Even I get caught up in the materialism of the season. It's easy to forget what's most important.

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, haha. Poor brother of yours! Again, I personally don't mind having my birthday near Christmas-- but I cannot deny that I liked getting *only* toys as presents when I was a kid (and I still don't mind receiving toys haha). But yeah, my past birthdays/ Christmas celebrations were kind of sucky because I didn't get to hang out with a friend and venture off somewhere. Now that I'm *allowed* to do things on my own, my winter holidays have gotten better. That's when I don't really mind so much about receiving presents.

      Delete
  2. Nice*
    Maybe we follow each other !?
    Let me know if you follow me & i´ll follow back :)

    Greetings <3
    pequenaflordemaracuja.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete